Indians use Banana leaves for cooking, wrapping, and food-serving in various occasions and family events. It is large enough to accommodate a whole meal like Rice, meat, vegetables, lentils, curries and pickles on the same leaf. Eating on banana leaves is a custom that dates back thousands of years, however its benefits are still relevant today.
1. Banana leaves are packed with plant-based compounds called polyphenols such as EGCG, which is also found in green tea.
2. Poly phenol are natural antioxidants that battle free radicals and prevent diseases.
3. Banana leaves also contain poly phenol oxidase, an enzyme that produces L-DOPA, a treatment for Parkinson’s disease.
4. Antioxidants on banana leaves help to fight against cancer.
5. Eating food on banana leaves aids proper digestion.The wax coat on the banana leaf melts when hot food is served on it. It also gives nice flavor and adds taste to the food.
6. Banana leaves have antibacterial property. Banana leaves kill few bacteria that causes diseases.
7. Enhances Flavor- The wax coat on the banana leaf melts when hot food is served on it. It also gives nice flavor and adds taste to the food.
8. Banana Leaves are Eco-friendly- They decompose in a very short time, unlike plastic, which takes hundreds of years to biodegrade.
9. Chemical free– Eating food on banana leaves aids proper digestion and are chemical free.Since Banana leaves just need to be rinsed with a little water not need to washed with soap unlike plates, where traces of the chemicals in the soap may still remain on the plates, contaminating your food.
for more such information. visit: http://www.Fitolish.com